Usman Habib is Head of Computer science department at FAST-National University of Computers & Emerging Sciences (NUCES), Chiniot-Faisalabad campus. He holds more than fourteen years of teaching and research experience spanning from 2006 to date. Before joining FAST‑NUCES, he served as Assistant Professor in COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Abbottabad, Pakistan. In addition to teaching and research, he also successfully completed various industrial projects which include “eXtract” project funded by an Austrian Funding Agency under e!MISSION programme. Dr. Usman regularly publishes his research in conferences and journals of repute. He was program chair of International Conference on emerging technologies (ICET), 2019 and remained active member of organizing committee for a series of international conferences, Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT) for several years.
He secured distinctive marks during bachelor’s degree in computer science at COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Pakistan and was awarded Gold medal for the session Spring 2006. He obtained Master’s degree from Norwegian University of Science and Technology, (NTNU), Norway 2008, fully funded by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. The thesis during masters was supervised by Dr. Do Van Thanh in collaboration with Telenor R&I and Ubisafe Norway.
Dr. Usman completed his PhD at ICT department, Technical university of Vienna, Austria, and remained avidly involved in research pertaining to “Automated fault detection and diagnosis in buildings data”. His PhD was also fully funded by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan. The PhD research was carried out in collaboration with (AIT) Austrian Institute of Technology, Vienna, Austria. He is currently interested in the fields of machine learning, data analytics, solar cooling systems, fault detection and diagnosis systems and information security. His detailed profile and research portfolio can be accessed from following links:
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.pk/citations?user=HN8JX8IAAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Usman_Habib2
- PhD (Engineering Sciences), 2016
TU Wien, Vienna, Austria
- MS (Telematics: Communication Network and Networked Services), 2010
NTNU, Trondheim, Norway.
- BS (Computer Science), 2006
COMSATS University, Abbottabad Campus (Pakistan)
Journal Publications / Book Chapters
- Khan, H. U. Rehman, U. Habib, and U. Ijaz, “Detecting N6-methyladenosine sites from RNA transcriptomes using random forest,” J. Comput. Sci., vol. 47, p. 101238, Nov. 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.jocs.2020.101238. (IF: 2.644)
- Rasheed, B. Zafar, A. Rasheed, N. Ali, M. Sajid, S. H. Dar, U. Habib, T. Khalil, M. T. Mahmood, “Fabric Defect Detection using Computer Vision Techniques: A Comprehensive Review”, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Nov. 2020, doi:10.1155/2020/8189403 (IF: 1.009)
- Umbreen, D. Shehzad, N. Shafi, B. Khan, and U. Habib, “An Energy-Efficient Mobility Based Cluster Head Selection for Lifetime Enhancement of Wireless Sensor Networks,” IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 207779–207793, 2020. (IF: 3.745)
- Umair, M.S. Sarfraz, M. Ahmad, U. Habib, M. H. Ullah, M. Mazzara, “Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Web News Archives for Crime Prediction”, Appl. Sci., vol. 10, no. 22, Jan. 2020 (IF: 2.474)
- Abid, F. Ahmad, F. Ullah, U. Habib, S. Nawaz, M. Iqbal, A. Farooq, “High voltage DC power supply with power factor correction based on LLC resonant converter,” PLOS ONE, vol. 15, no. 9, p. e0239008, Sep. 2020. (IF: 2.740)
- A. Khan, U. Habib et al., “Automated design for recognition of blood cells diseases from hematopathology using classical features selection and ELM,” Microsc. Res. Tech., doi: 10.1002/jemt.23578, 2020 (IF: 2.117)
- A. Khan, U. Habib et al., “Human action recognition using fusion of multiview and deep features: an application to video surveillance,” Multimed. Tools Appl., pp. 1–27, Mar. 2020, doi:10.1007/s11042-020-08806-9, Mar. 2020, (IF: 2.101)
- Zia, A. Abbas, U. Habib, and M. S. Khan, “Learning deep hierarchical and temporal recurrent neural networks with residual learning,” Int. J. Mach. Learn. Cybern., vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 873–882, Apr. 2020. (IF: 3.844)
- U. Rehman, U. Habib, U. Ijaz, N. Islam, A. U. Rehman, R. Nawaz, “Identification of Yeast’s Interactome using Neural Networks”, IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 179634–179645, 2019. (IF: 4.08)
- Iqbal, M. T. Yousafzai, S. Ali, K. Sattar, M. Q. Saleem, U. Habib, and A. R. Khan, “There is no such thing as free lunch but envy among young facebookers,” KSII Trans. Internet Inf. Syst., vol. 12, no. 10, Oct. 2018. (IF: 0.611)
- Zucker, U. Habib, M. Blöchle, F. Judex, and T. Leber, “Sanitation and Analysis of Operation Data in Energy Systems,” Energies, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 12776–12794, Nov. 2015. (IF: 2.072)
- Khan, H. U. Rehman, U. Habib, “Fog Computing for Bioinformatics Applications”, in Fog Computing, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2020, pp. 529–546. (Book Chapter)
- Habib, K. Hayat, G. Zucker, “Complex building’s energy system operation patterns analysis using bag of words representation with hierarchical clustering,” Complex Adapt. Syst. Model., vol. 4, no.8, pp.1-20, Feb. 2016. (ISI Indexed)
- Habib, I. Jørstad, D. V. Thanh, K. Hayat, and I. A. Khan, “A Framework for Secure Linux Based Authentication in Enterprises via Mobile Phone,” J. Basic Appl. Sci. Res., vol. 1, no. 1(12), pp. 3058–3066, 2011. (ISI Indexed)
- S. Khan and U. Habib, “Procedural Justice & Organizational Performance,” Abasyn J. Soc. Sci., vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 36–51, 2011. (HEC Approved)
- Fatima, H. U. Rehman, A. Sharif and U. Habib, “Evaluation of Multi-Modal MRI Images for Brain Tumor Segmentation” in 2019 IEEE 15th International Conference on Emerging Technologies (ICET), 2019.
- Habib and G. Zucker, “Automatic occupancy prediction using unsupervised learning in buildings data,” in 2017 IEEE 26th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 2017, pp. 1471–1476.
- Khan, M. Shahzad, U. Habib, W. Gawlik, P. Palensky, “Stochastic Battery Model for Aggregation of Thermostatically Controlled Loads,” in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT2016), 14-17 March 2016.
- Habib and G. Zucker, “Finding the Different Patterns in Buildings Data Using Bag of Words Representation with Clustering,” in 2015 13th International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT), 2015, pp. 303-308.
- Habib, G. Zucker, M. Blochle, F. Judex, and J. Haase, “Outliers detection method using clustering in buildings data,” in IECON 2015 – 41st Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2015, pp. 000694-000700.
- Zucker, U. Habib, M. Blochle, A. Wendt, S. Schaat, and L. C. Siafara, “Building energy management and data analytics,” in 2015 International Symposium on Smart Electric Distribution Systems and Technologies (EDST), 2015, pp. 462–467.
- Zucker, J. Malinao, U. Habib, T. Leber, A. Preisler, and F. Judex, “Improving energy efficiency of buildings using data mining technologies,” in 2014 IEEE 23rd International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 2014, (PP) 2664-2669.
- A. Tawab Khalil, P. D. D. Dominic, H. Kazemian, and U. Habib, “A Study to Examine If Integration of Technology Acceptance Model’s (TAM) Features Help in Building a Hybrid Digital Business Ecosystem Framework for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs),” in Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT), 2011, pp. 161–166.