Dr. Muhammad Gufran Khan is Associate Professor and HOD of Electrical Engineering department at FAST National University of Computer & Emerging Sciences (NUCES), Chiniot-Faisalabad campus. He possesses professional experience of more than 10 years in academia and industry. His technical expertise are in the areas of Signal Processing, Communication and Embedded Control Systems. Before joining FAST NUCES, he worked as an Analysis Engineer for automotive electronic and control systems at Volvo Car Corporation, Sweden. During his PhD, he conducted research on Wireless Communication systems and Ultra Wideband (UWB) technology in a highly reputed research environment, in Sweden. His scholarly work has been published in International peer reviewed conferences and journals.
Dr. Gufran has extensive experience in teaching graduate and undergraduate students at Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden and at FAST-NUCES. He has also supervised many Master level thesis and is currently working on different funded research projects. His current research interests are in Model-based embedded system design, Signal & Image processing, and Machine learning techniques.
Ph.D(EE (Wireless Communications)), Blekinge Institute Of Technology, Sweden (2011)
M.Sc(EE (Signal Processing)), Blekinge Institute Of Technology, Sweden (2005)
B.Sc(Electrical Engineering), University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan (2003)
- Abdullah Irfan, Muhammad Gufran Khan, Arslan Ahmed Amin, Syed Ali Mohsin, Muhammad Adnan, and Adil Zulfiqar. “Model-Based Design, HIL Testing, and Rapid Control Prototyping of a Low-Cost POC Quadcopter with Stability Analysis and Control.” Complexity, 2022 (IF: 2.83)
- Muhammad Gufran Khan, Noor Ul Huda, and Uzair Khaleeq Uz Zaman. “Smart Warehouse Management System: Architecture, Real-Time Implementation and Prototype Design.” Machines, vol. 10, no. 2 pp. 150, 2022
- Dost, M. Shabbir, F. Saud, M. G. Khan, M. Shahid and B. Lovstrom “A Review on Methods of Reduced Reference Image and Video Quality Assessment” EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, no. 1, pp. 1-31, 2022
- Maham Saeed, Muhammad Gufran Khan, Adil Zulfiqar, and Muhammad Tahir Bhatti. “Development of ANPR Framework for Pakistani Vehicle Number Plates Using Object Detection and OCR.” Complexity, 2021.
- Muhammad Tahir Bhatti, Muhammad Gufran Khan, Masood Aslam, and Muhammad Junaid Fiaz. “Weapon detection in real-time cctv videos using deep learning.” IEEE Access vol. 9, pp. 34366-34382, 2021
- Marriam Liaqat, Muhammad Gufran Khan, Muhammad Rayyan Fazal, Yazeed Ghadi, and Muhammad Adnan. “Multi-Criteria Storage Selection Model for Grid-Connected Photovoltaics Systems.” IEEE Access, vol. 9 pp. 115506-115522, 2021
- Muhammad Adnan, Muhammad Gufran Khan, Arslan Ahmed Amin, Muhammad Rayyan Fazal, Wen-Shan Tan, and Mansoor Ali. “Cascading Failures Assessment in Renewable Integrated Power Grids Under Multiple Faults Contingencies.” IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 82272-82287, 2021
- Fizza Naz, Zaeema Wajid, Arslan Ahmed Amin, Omer Saleem, Muhamad Hamza Shahbaz, Muhammad Gufran Khan, and Muhammad Adnan. “PID Tuning with reference tracking and plant uncertainty along with disturbance rejection.” Systems Science & Control Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 160-166, 2021
- Muhamad Hamza Shahbaz, Kashif Amjad, Naqash Ahmad, Arslan Ahmed Amin, Sajid Iqbal, Muhammad Gufran Khan, and Muhammad Adnan, “A Streamlined 17-Level Cascaded H-Bridge Multilevel Converter With Solar PV Integration”, Bulletin of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, vol. 10, no. 2, 00. 598-608, 2021
- Yousaf, A. Mughees, M. G. Khan, A. A. Amin and M. Adnan. “A Comparative Analysis of Various Controller Techniques for Optimal Control of Smart Nano-Grid Using GA and PSO Algorithms.” IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 205696-205711, November 2020
- A. Majeed, M. G. Khan, and F. Asghar. “Nonlinear control of hybrid energy storage system for hybrid electric vehicles.” International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, vol. 30, no. 4, e12268, April 2020
- Hussain, M. Hussain and M. G. Khan. “An improved acoustic scene classification method using convolutional neural networks (CNNs).” American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS), vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 68-76, 2018
- Ashraf, S. Anwer and M. G. Khan. “A Comparative study of predicting student’s performance by use of data mining techniques.” American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS), vol. 44, no. 1 pp. 122-136, 2018
- Umair and M. G. Khan. “Communication Technologies and Network Protocols of Automotive Systems.” Advances in Networks, SciencePG, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 58-65, 2018
- Aslam, N. Shahbaz, R. Rahim, and M. G. Khan “Smart Grid Communication Infrastructure, Automation Technologies and Recent Trends”, published in American Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 25-32, 2018
- Mazhar, M. G. Khan, “Precise indoor positioning using UWB: A survey of Methods, Algorithms and Implementations”, Published in Journal of Wireless Personal Communications (WPC), pp. 1-25, August 2017
- Fatima, N. Nazir, M. G. Khan, “Data Cleaning In Data Warehouse: A Survey of Data Pre-processing Techniques and Tools” Published in International Journal of Information Technology and Computer Science (IJITCS), pp. 50-61, March 2017
- Umair, U. Ashfaq, M. G. Khan, “Recent Trends, Applications, and Challenges of Brain-Computer Interfacing (BCI)”, Published in International Journal of Intelligent Systems and Applications (IJISA), I.J. Intelligent Systems and Applications, pp. 58-65, February 2017
- Ashraf, M. G. Khan, “Effectiveness of Data Mining Approaches to E-Learning System: A Survey”, Published in NFC-IEFR Journal of Engineering & Scientific Research, vol. 5, pp. 49-57, December 2016
- G. Khan, B. Sällberg, J. Nordberg, F. Tufvesson and I. Claesson, “Non-Coherent Fourth-Order Detector for Impulse Radio Ultra Wideband Systems: Empirical evaluation using Channel Measurements”, Published in Journal of Wireless Personal Communications (WPC), November 2011
- G. Khan, B. Sällberg, J. Nordberg and I. Claesson, “Robust Weighted Non-Coherent Receiver for Impulse Radio UWB PPM Signals”, Published in Journal of IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 614-616, June 2011
- Soban Ahmed, Muhammad Tahir Bhatti, Muhammad Gufran Khan, Benny Lövström, and Muhammad Shahid. “Development and Optimization of Deep Learning Models for Weapon Detection in Surveillance Videos” Applied Sciences vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 5772, 2022.
- M. G. Khan, Salma, M. Saeed, A. Zulfiqar, Y. Ghadi and M. Adnan, “A Novel Deep Learning Based ANPR Pipeline for Vehicle Access Control,” in IEEE Access, 2022, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3183101. (Impact Factor: 3.367).
- Rauf ur Rahim, Masood Aslam, Muhammad Gufran Khan, and Ihtasham Abid Basra. “Pakistani Standard Vehicle Plates Recognition using Deep Neural Networks.” In 2021 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ICAI), pp. 158-163. IEEE, 2021.
- G. Khan, B. Sällberg, J. Nordberg and I. Claesson, “Energy-Efficient BPPM/Code Multiplexed Transmitted- Reference Multi-user UWB System”, IEEE International Conference ICUWB’11, Italy.
- G. Khan, B. Sällberg, J. Nordberg and I. Claesson, “Non-coherent detection of impulse radio UWB signals based on fourth order statistics”, IEEE International Conference ICUWB’09, Vancouver, Canada.
- G. Khan, J. Nordberg, and I. Claesson, “Signaling and Detection of UWB Signals based on a Dual-Doublet Transmitted Reference Scheme”, The twentieth Nordic Conf. RVK’08, June 9-11, 2008, Växjö, Sweden.
- G. Khan, J. Nordberg, and I. Claesson, “An Energy-efficient Signaling and Detection Scheme for Transmitted Reference UWB Systems”, INCC’08 Inter. Networking and Comm. Conf., May 1-4, 2008, LUMS, Lahore, Pakistan
- G. Khan, J. Nordberg, and I. Claesson, “A Doublet-Shift Transmitted Reference Scheme for Ultra- Wideband Communication Systems”, Proceedings of ICUWB’07, IEEE International Conf. UWB, Sep. 24-26, 2007, Singapore.
- G. Khan, J. Nordberg, and I. Claesson, “Detection of Impulse Radio Ultra-Wideband Signals using Recursive Transmitted Reference Receivers”, IEEE International Conference on UWB, September 24-26, 2007, Singapore.
- G. Khan, J. Nordberg, A. Mohammed, and I. Claesson, “Performance evaluation of RAKE receiver for UWB systems using measured channels in industrial environments”, AusWireless’06, March 2006. Sydney, Australia.
- G. Khan, A. A. Ashraf, J. Karedal, F. Tufvesson, and A. F. Molisch, “Measurements and Analysis of UWB Channels in Industrial Environments”, In Proc. Wireless Personal Multimedia Comm. (WPMC), Sept. 2005, Denmark.