- Date of Joining:
- Number of Students Supervised (BS/MS/PhD):
- Google Scholar Citations:
I received my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Information Technology University (ITU), Pakistan, in December 2020. My main research area is adversarial machine learning attacks & defenses for machine learning-based networks. Recently, I started working on urban computing and analyzing data from social media applications for understanding hate speech and polarization content. Before joining the National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (NUCES), I was a post-doctoral researcher at Smart Data Systems and Applications (SDSA) Lab at LUMS. I also held a post-doctoral researcher position at the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh (UoE), UK. I completed my master’s in EE from NUCES in 2013 and BSc. in Telecommunication Engineering from GCUF in 2010.
• Adversarial Machine Learning for Data Networks
• Urban Computing
• Polarization Detection
Post-Doc, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Pakistan, 2022
Post-Doc, University of Edinburgh (UoE), UK, 2021
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Information Technology University (ITU), Pakistan, 2020
MS Electrical Engineering, National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (NUCES), Pakistan, 2013
BS Telecommunication Engineering, Govt. College University Faisalabad (GCUF), Pakistan, 2010
1. Yousaf, Bilal, Muhammad Usama, Waqas Sultani, Arif Mahmood, and Junaid Qadir “Fake Visual Content Detection Using Two-Stream Convolutional Neural Networks “accepted for publication in Springer Neural Computing and Applications, 2022.
2. R. Tallal Javed, Muhammad Usama, Waleed Iqbal, Junaid Qadir, Gareth Tyson, Ignacio Castro, and Kiran Garimella “A Deep Dive into COVID-19 Related Messages on WhatsApp in Pakistan ”accepted for publication in Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM), 2022.
3. Inaam Ilahi, Muhammad Usama, Junaid Qadir, Muhammad Umar Janjua, Ala Al-Fuqaha, Dinh Thai Hoang, and Dusit Niyato “Challenges and Countermeasures for Adversarial Attacks on Deep Reinforcement Learning” accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Artificial Intelligence, 2021.
4. M. Usama, R. Mitra, I. Ilahi, J. Qadir and M. Marina, “Examining Machine Learning for 5G and Beyond through an Adversarial Lens” in IEEE Internet Computing, 2021.
5. M. Usama, J. Qadir, A. Al-Fuqaha and M. Hamdi, “The Adversarial Machine Learning Conundrum: Can the Insecurity of ML Become the Achilles’ Heel of Cognitive Networks?” in IEEE Network, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 196-203, January/February 2020.
6. A. Qayyum, M. Usama, J. Qadir and A. Al-Fuqaha, “Securing Connected & Autonomous Vehicles: Challenges Posed by Adversarial Machine Learning and the Way Forward” in IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials (IEEE-COMST), vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 998-1026, 2020.
7. Siddique Latif, Junaid Qadir, Adnan Qayyum, Muhammad Usama, and Shahzad Younis “Speech Technology for Healthcare: Opportunities, Challenges, and State of the Art” accepted for publication in IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, (IEEE-RBME), 2020.
8. Muhammad Usama, Junaid Qadir, Aunn Raza, Hunanin Arif, Kok-Lim Alvin Yau, Yehia Elkhatib, Amir Hussain, and Ala Al-Fuqaha “Unsupervised Machine Learning for Networking: Techniques, Applications and Research Challenges”, IEEE Access, 2019.
9. Adnan Qayyum, Aneeqa Ijaz, Muhammad Usama, Waleed Iqbal, Junaid Qadir, Yehia Elkhatib, and Ala Al-Fuqaha “Securing Machine Learning (ML) in the Cloud: A Systematic Review of Cloud ML Security” accepted for publication in the Frontiers in Big Data, 2020.
10. Siddique Latif, Adnan Qayyum, Muhammad Usama, Junaid Qadir, Andrej Zwitter, and Muhammad Shahzad “Caveat emptor: the risks of using big data for human evelopment”, IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, 2019.
11. Junaid Qadir, Arjuna Sathiaseelan, Umar Bin Farooq, Muhammad Usama, Muhammad Ali Imran, and Muhammad Shafique “Approximate Networking for Universal Internet Access”, Future Internet, 2017.
1. Abdur Rahman, Muhammad Usama, Muhammad Tahir, and Momin Uppal “Data Driven Frame-work for Analysis of Air Quality Landscape for Data Driven Framework for Analysis of Air Quality Landscape for the City of Lahore” accepted for publication in 7th SDSC & 17th 3DGeoinfo Conference, 2022.
2. Caner Kilinc, Mahesh K. Marina, Muhammad Usama, Salih Ergut, Jon Crowcroft, Tugrul Gun-dogdu, and Ilhan Akinci “JADE: Data Driven Automated Jammer Detection Framework for Operational Mobile Networks” accepted for publication in IEEE InfoComm, 2022.
3. Kai Xu, Rajkarn Singh, Hakan Bilen, Marco Fiore, Mahesh K. Marina, Muhammad Usama, Howard Benn, and Cezary Ziemlicki “SpectraGAN: Spectrum based Generation of City Scale Spatiotemporal Mobile Network Traffic Data” accepted for publication in the ACM CoNext, 2021.
4. Rana Tallal Javed, Mirza Elaaf Shuja, Muhammad Usama, Muhammad Furqan Muzammil, Junaid Qadir, Waleed Iqbal, Gareth Tyson, Ignacio Castro, and Kiran Garimella “A First Look Into COVID-19 Messages on WhatsApp in Pakistan” accepted for publication in the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Network Analysis and Mining, IEEE/ACM ASONAM, 2020.
5. Inaam Ilahi, Muhammad Usama, Muhammad Omer Farooq, Muhammad Umar Janjua, and Junaid Qadir “LoRaDRL: Deep Reinforcement Learning Based Adaptive PHY Layer Transmission Parameter Selection for LoRaWAN” accepted for publication in IEEE LCN, 2020.
6. Muhammad Usama, Muhammad Asim, Siddique Latif, Junaid Qadir, and Ala Al-Fuqaha “Generative Adversarial Networks for Launching and Thwarting Adversarial Attacks on Network Intrusion Detection Systems” accepted in The 15th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, IEEE IWCMC, 2019.
7. Muhammad Usama, Adnan Qayyum, Junaid Qadir, and Ala Al-Fuqaha “Black-box Adversarial Machine Learning Attack on Network Traffic Classification” accepted in The 15th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, IEEE IWCMC, 2019.
8. Muhammad Usama, Muhammad Asim, Junaid Qadir, Ala Al-Fuqaha, and Muhammad Ali Imran “Adversarial Machine Learning Attack on Modulation Classification” accepted in the 4th International Conference on UK-China Emerging Technologies, IEEE UCET, 2019.
9. Salah-ud-din Farooq, Muhammad Usama, Junaid Qadir, and Muhammad Ali Imran “Adversarial ML Attack on Self Organizing Cellular Networks” accepted in the 4th International Conference on UK-China Emerging Technologies, IEEE UCET, 2019.
10. Muhammad Usama, Junaid Qadir, and Ala Al-Fuqaha’s “Black-box Adversarial ML Attack on Modulation Classification” was accepted as a poster paper in ACM-AINTEC, 2019.
11. Muhammad Usama, Junaid Qadir, and Ala Al-Fuqaha “Adversarial Attacks on Cognitive Self-Organizing Networks: The Challenge and the Way Forward” accepted as a workshop paper in the 43rd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks Conference IEEE LCN, 2018.
12. Touseef Yaqoob, Muhammad Usama, Junaid Qadir, and Gareth Tyson. “On Analyzing Self-Driving Networks: A Systems Thinking Approach” accepted in ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Self-Driving Networks, 2018.
13. Muhammad Usama, and Muhammad S Sheikh. “Vector Indexing Algorithm for Post Processing of OTDR Data” accepted in 18th European Conference on Network and Optical Communications NOC, 2013.
Blogs and Reports
1. “Finding the blue skies: Lahore’s Air Apocalypse”, by M. Usama, available on https://sdsa.
2. “Artificial Intelligence as an Enabler for Cognitive Self-Organizing Future Networks”, S. Latif, F. Pervez, M. Usama, J. Qadir, published in the Special Issue on “Enabling Mobile Computing and Cognitive Networks through Artificial Intelligence” published in IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc)’s blog on Cognitive Radio Networking and Security, Feb 2017.
3. “Design Challenges in Wireless and Data Networks: Security as Case Study”, Muhammad Usama,
July 2017. available on https://bit.ly/3xqaT3d